Are you feeling so low that you think you won’t be able to carry out everyday tasks? Chances are you could be suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome or CFS. It’s an illness or a series of illness which might make individuals feel lethargic all the time. Day to day activities become chores which are difficult to handle. The problem is that chronic fatigue syndrome is not easy to diagnose either.
The main reason why it’s not easy to diagnose is that people suffering from it are touted as being lazy or idle. Those who suffer from it themselves believe it to be the case. However new research shows that chronic fatigue syndrome must be taken as an illness and should be addressed as one too. Women are more prone to CFS then men. However an estimated one million Americans suffer from CFS.
Since there are no major tests to determine the existence of the CFS, people usually imagine that it’s all in the mind. The same goes for close friends and associates who believe that to be the exact case. However there need be a good support group for people suffering from CFS.
The following are a few symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome
- Feelings of extreme tiredness.
- Loss of interest in everyday chores
- Despondent mood and depressive state of mind.
- Frequent mood swings.
- Feeling tired even when waking up after a full night’s sleep.
- Headaches accompanied by feelings of tenderness in the armpits or the neck.
- Trouble concentrating at work
- Feeling weak or dizzy
- Recurring joint pain which shows no redness or swelling
- A disturbed sleep pattern
What Causes CFS
The following are some of the causes of CFS
- Nutritional deficiencies
- A compromised immune system
- Certain bacterial or viral infections.
- Research also points out an indirect link between low blood pressure, anemia and certain metabolic disorders
Treatment For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
There is no specific treatment available for chronic fatigue syndrome. Individuals tend to experience the above symptoms most of the time. What people suffering from this syndrome need is a good doctor who can evaluate and diagnose their problem. Often certain behavior altering medications are given along with therapy to help ease the symptoms.
Support from friends and family helps a great deal too. However if you suffer from CFS you might have to make the following lifestyle changes to enhance the quality of life
- Changes in daily routines
- Sleeping and waking up on time
- Turning towards gentle exercises like yoga which help calm and soothe frazzled nerves
- Taking frequent rests so that feelings of fatigue can be overcome
- Reducing stress and anxiety.
- Taking medication for depression on time
Can CFS be prevented?
Chronic fatigue syndrome cannot be prevented, though certain medication and therapies might help ease the symptoms a bit. Besides that joining a support group or a stress management program can help people cope better with their illness.